Upgrading the user interface of a small, microcontroller-based device such as a remote control, wearable or meter can be achieved cost-effectively using skillful management of hardware resources, and careful attention to software design. This can help pressurised designers to keep costs down while setting the bar higher in terms of performance and features. Understanding the interactions between the MCU and TFT-LCD can help engineers achieve an optimal trade-off between factors such as MCU power and performance, screen resolution and size, refresh rate, colour depth, and BOM cost.
What we cover in this whitepaper:
- Hardware considerations: differences between TFT and segment displays
- The display interface: ways to connect
- Buffer size and frame rate: knowing the limitations
- Designers choices: getting the best result your application
- Software design support: effective ecosystems for GUI design